Song of the Mysteries - Chapter I Discussion (Spoilers!)

I’m setting up this thread for people to discuss Chapter I of Song of the Mysteries, which was released as a free excerpt today. Please keep Spoiler Etiquette in mind when replying.

5 Likes

Run. Drop everything. Have a spreadsheet that needs analyzed? Too bad. Go read Chapter 1 IMMEDIATELY!!! It does not disappoint. Well, it does insomuch as you want MORE. I can safely predict I will not be sleeping the night of the 23rd as I will be reading Song of the Mysteries non-stop.

Chapter 1 is top-notch from beginning to end. That’s not even taking into account the end of chapter triad (the last one was a doozy for me).

Why are you still reading here?!?!? Go read it now! Read it again! :smiley:

5 Likes

Wow is all I can say. I know I will be rereading this chapter compulsively until I get my copy on 23 May!
This chapter was everything I could have hoped for and more! Now to contain my impatience

2 Likes

I’m feeling very grateful for the chapter release: the beginning of the end of a very long journey.
Thank you seems inadequate, Janny, but it is sincere.

2 Likes

That was a blast—and the best opening of any book yet!

The ending triad was also mindblowing for me, I’d previously thought that any Mistwraith planning had been mostly spoiled by Arithon’s removal of the curse, and Lysaer’s struggles towards autonomy. I daresay, planning that survives such events suggests its abilities to plan are on a level with the Fellowship. I’m reminded of the phrase “We sought harm too soon and protected craft teachings too late,” is it possible that even Arithon’s encounter with the Mistwraith was ‘too late’?

On a personal note, I’m stuck between wanting to read the full book immediately on release, and wanting to re-read everything else again NOW!

5 Likes