Thanks for the Empire Series

originally posted by Stephen

Would just like to add a comment of thanks for the Empire Series, they were an awesome read! I have a lot of respect and admiration for you and Raymond Feist, you two are my favourite authors, with consistently good books that I am able to lose myself in other worlds. Keep up the good work! (I can't wait to read Stormed Fortress once I finally get my copy…!)

Hi Stephen - thanks and welcome here!

originally posted by Rebecca

Thank you both so much for writing this series. I have now passed it on to several friends and family members, and they all love it (even the non-sci fi fans).

Thank You!!!

I know the idea gets tossed around a lot, but this series would make an awesome movie. Picture it: exotic sets, elaborate costumes, CG animations…it would be great.

Hi Rebecca - welcome here!

What a nice thing to see on an already beautiful day - yes, indeedy, a movie of this story would be quite spectacular…I would LOVE to see that, too!

Hope you will explore around, a bit - there's a nice bunch on this chat. And of course, teaser excerpts and mp3 audio files of some of the other titles, and tons of artwork pertaining to the stories.

originally posted by John Hulet

I am with Rebecca on this one completely in that The Empire series combines such a broad range of events and scenes that it would have a lot of appeal as am movie. Can you imagine how breathtaking it could be if the director for LOTR were to apply his particular genius? Some of the imagery could be amazing.

originally posted by Mark Stephen Kominski

I agree in principle, JH, but I'd be rather disappointed if he decided to go Hollywood with Mara the way he did with Faramir in LOTR…

How do you see that? I guess that even though the LOTR movies were not perfectly in line with the books, they were an amazing adaptation and have probably done more good in throwing greater attention on Fantasy Literature than anything else.

Did you not like the character they chose for Faramir or did you not like the way he did the movies?

originally posted by Trys

I'll weigh in on this though Mark's opinion may differ.

I found the depiction of Faramir to be imprecise. His character on the screen failed to capture the significant difference between him and his brother. Faramir was a true son of the line of the Stewards, descended from Numenor an age before. But Boromir was not. That blood running true enabled Faramir to utterly refuse the ring… 'though it were lying beside the road' but not so in the movie. He played the 'good son' the 'Boromir wannabe', but that was not Faramir.

Further, Faramir was much like his father, Denethor, but yet another character was twisted into a poor shadowed caricature of the man that Tolkien put on his pages. Denethor was also a true descendant of his blood line and could not be broken by Sauron, only fooled with false images in the Palantir until he succumbed to hopelessness. He was not a madman who dribbled food down his front.

But that's just my $.38 (inflation you know).

Trys

originally posted by Clansman

I think that Trys has nailed the Faramir problem.

There is also the Frodo problem, and the Elrond problem. Aragorn was also quite different from the book, but not necessarily in a bad way.

One must remember that Jackson repeatedly stated that the screenplay was an interpretation of the books, not just a mere adaptation. Certain parts could have been adapted better, such as the characters of Faramir, Frodo and Elrond. As it was, Faramir was the wannabe, Frodo was the whiner, and Elrond was just plain bitter.

On the flip side, Boromir was done beautifully, Gandalf was Great, Gollum was perrrrrfect, precious, and Gimli and Legolas were pretty darn good. The best bit of casting: Sean Astin as Samwise Gamgee. He nailed that part.

Uh, did we just hijack this thread?? Inside joke…

I can see what was meant now. It's interesting because if you have to pick and choose with things to keep and which to drop, it's got to be pretty tough.

Since we are on the subject of Empire and movie… Who do you cast as Mara of the Acoma? Do you look for an Asian actress or does it matter? My image of Mara is of a small, slight, cute not pretty woman with loads of intellect and amazing percpetion. What female actress carries that role off well?

And the Sam problem. Character assassination of Sam occurred on the stairs of Cirith Ungol… Sam would NEVER, EVER have left Frodo… "Don't you leave him." ::said Gandalf:: "I don't mean to sir." and he didn't.

originally posted by Clansman

Yes, that really wasn't a Sam problem, though. That was script-writing, and an addition to the plot that was unnecessary. Sam's character was only assassinated by the plot, not by the way the character was written or directed.

Frodo, on the other hand… I hated him by the end of RotK. In the book, he was far more stoic. In the movie, his decline occurred at the first encounter with the Black Rider in the Shire (sniff sniff). By Weathertop, I began to really dislike him.

And yes, John, we did hijack this thread, but we had accomplices this time!:smiley:

Clansman, I suppose your right… that said there was only one problem… the Peter Problem. Given that there is a solution to the Peter Principle, I wonder… <grin>

originally posted by Julie

In pre ILM, cgi 1974 some friends and I decided LOTR would be difficult to bring to film because Who Could play Aragorn??? His character is so layered and nuanced. I never thought about the battle scenes or grand vistas.
Almost 30 years later and countless re reads including with my children I was impressed with the richness and detail on screen but disappointed with the mixed
casting,characterizations and acting ability. I certainly understood why Aragorn was written the way he was(although I think PJ did not do this conscioulsy) given the actor originally slated to play him and one who actually got the role, I did not expect the movies to be an exact replica of the book (and face it the target audience was 14-30 year old males)but I did not understand why some characters were written so well and others so poorly. For example Theoden was essentially unaltered and Denethor trashed.I won't waste my time on Elrond,Frodo, Sam, Eowyn, Haldir

It seemed as though by the third movie the director just got bored (probably why Farimir was fairly bland)and threw everything into endless cgi battles.After all he already recouped his investment! Many people in the theater left before the end!

originally posted by Brian Clark

Hi Janny from Sydney Australia. Like others here, I would like to add my gratitude for the Empire series.

This is a stunningly beautiful work and there is something in the style that is both captivating and exciting and yet, soothing and gentle, to my mind at least. I have read it many many times, taking the time to absorb the detail often missed in the rush to move on.

Two questions only at this time.

Firstly, have you and your family ever visited Australia?

Secondly, and more importantly, The Empire series is the only work of yours that I have read, and being co-authored, I was wondering what you would recommend to me of your own work that I might like.

I am sure you love all the works that you have published, but when I ask others about your work they all recommend something different of yours.

So, where should I start, given that I loved The Empire series.

Kindest Regards

Jimmy

So many different choices. I have recommended To Ride Hell's Chasm as a great book to get started with to other people. It's a single volume, but just a wonderful ride and it lets you get a feel for Janny's writing before committing to The War of Light and Shadows. If you read the one you are almost certain to agree to the latter…

Hi Brian Clark - Welcome here, and thanks for your extremely kind response to the Empire.

Yes, I have visited your wonderful country - Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Alice Springs & surrounds, and Tasmania. What an incredible experience, I'd return in a heartbeat! The people there - all a delight. We made some lasting friends.

Past question start with To Ride Hell's Chasm, the reviewers who liked Empire seemed to enjoy that one enthusiastically. It is still in print in your country, and should give you a feel for my stuff without stepping off the cliff with a huge series.

My works tend to wind up, and set things in place - till about halfway, when all murder busts loose. Try to time the end bits when you can shut off the rest of your life (wives burn food, husbands neglect Honeydo lists…just a friendly warning) :smiley:

Janny - Clansman and I actually had quite a discussion about that by the way. I am still a huge fan of Sorcerer's Legacy, it's tough to top because it's short, it's action packed and very well written. Clansman, once again proving he's smarter than I am, was able to point out that TRHC contains a better sample of many of the themes and the style that you use. So, at this point, I stand firmly with him on THRC being a wonderful intro.

originally posted by Brian Clark

Thankyou Janny, and John, for your advice. As soon as I finish Mistress of the Empire [again] I will pick up a copy of TRHC. I am looking forward to it, because I am extremely fussy on what I read and rely on recommendation.

Jimmy

Makes sense. There is so much being printed these days and being able to avoid the bad stuff so that you can invest your reading time into things like Empire and TRHC is essential. Getting a solid recommendation makes all kinds of sense.

*** Spoiler ****

Speaking of Mistress… Are you a big fan of the ending? I was always frustrated with who she ends up with because I felt that Hokanu totally got the raw end of the deal…