Song of the Mysteries, the final volume

Hmm, no-one else has replied to this part yet. Lysaer’s danger: I’m undecided between two similar dangers. One, over the last 500 years, the other wraiths finally subverted the bits of Traithe that they had possession of and that “evil Traithe” was hidden in Lysaer. Or possibility two, a Marak wraith spent 500 years learning Traithe’s mage talents and hid itself in Lysaer. My supposition is that when Lysaer immolated himself and was pulled out of Rockfell by the Biedar, they stripped that hidden bit and left it in the pit for Arithon to clean up. It took Arithon that long to cleanup simply because of the number of entities he had to find Name for while being assaulted by the remaining horde.

1 Like

Today I finished reading Song of the Mysteries and therefore the whole series.
It feels significant to say that because its been a significant number of years and a big chunk of my life since I first read Curse of the Mistwraith.
Song fulfilled so many expectations and answered so many questions. It brought everything to a satisfying conclusion. I can hardly believe it’s really happened.

I feel so many mixed emotions about this series. I fell in love with the originality, the complex world-building, and with Arithon and Elaira. Loved the hints of sci-fi in the fantasy (always wanted more of that side). I felt it should be more widely known and appreciated. Sometimes it seemed the world was so real and plausible it was like reading an undiscovered history of our own world.
Sometimes I was frustrated with the distance between Arithon and Elaira, the Fellowship not stepping in or speaking up where I wanted them to, the long wait between books …
As it went on my life changed a lot. having kids. divorce. therapy. getting older mainly.
The first few books I read several times each but later I didn’t have time for that and it became harder to hang onto the detail from book to book.
I have to admit I was a bit turned off after Peril’s Gate however I had to get each subsequent book to see what would happen and how it was all going to end.
Finally that time has come. It has all ended. I feel sad and satisfied and overwhelmed and I’m hooked, hoping for more short stories to give us more backstory.
I am in awe of Janny’s achievement and persistence over so many years.

3 Likes