Notes and thoughts while reading the book

originally posted by Hellcat

Just finished Chapter set 3. Incoherent thoughts so far:

First sentence of the timeline is very confusing. It needs splitting, plus a mention of the five centuries fountain.

Necromancers: WHAT surprises is this plotline going to pull? Will it re-forge Lysaer's self awareness and remove his hatred of magecraft, or the reverse? Too much speculation. Cerebeld in communion with the necromancers was just urrrrrghhhhhhhh! This is really intriguing me at the moment, there are so many possibilities from here…

Arithon: Now he must learn to cope with the expanded awareness of a Sourceror. The awkening of his gift of farsight to full potential is interesting.

Feylind: CHILDREN!!! Blimey!

Jensya: Her and Arithon together is going to be firestorm. Mostly I feel sorry for her, partly I want to smack her and tell her to grow up! Would Jieret really sacrifice himself if it wasn't necessary? It is a shame she didn't not witness the Centaur and realise that by the time Jiret died he had found a peace and a greatness beyond anything he had known before.

Hellcat

splouieoeopehkjaakjlsaklsdsjkjkshfdhfkj Spoilers Chapter set 4;

P 103 of the Trade Paperback:

quote:

Lysear brooded less on Shadow and Sourcery and more on the treason that stalked his state hall at Avenor

Blimey. I think this could be the begining of the redemption of Lysaer. Since the curse is boun to Lysaer by his gift of justice I'm not sure it would be able to conteract any just act Lysaer takes to remove the injustice.

originally posted by Anna Kanowski

Hi I finished reading TK last night. WOW!
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s

the necromancy scene near the end was HARROWING to read I found myself scanning rather than reading ever word in order to disassociate myself and not be absolutely drained and wrecked!
As for the "love scene" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Janny, if I didn't love you so much I'd hate you!

Actually I'd really appreciate some input/analysis from other readers. With the whole series I have only read each book once. I think it is because it does have such an IMPACT. This is against my normal habit of rereading books. there are just so many of those harrowing scenes going back to tal quorin (sp) and the havens etc.
Anyway a by-product of that is I don't have as exact a recall of some details.
With regard to the background of the Fellowship of Seven and Davien's dispute with them I have a general sense of where they stand but it sort of sits just out of reach in my mind so that if I try to focus on it it disappears. It is just enough to keep me on track while reading and try to assimilate the new tidbits on that topic.
So anyway what I'm requesting is that another reader please summarise the stance of Davien versus the F7 on the compact etc. PLEASE.
Thanks in advance
hosanna

originally posted by skeoke

Anna ~

TK gives a much better idea of D vs F6 than all the rest put together.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Especially the scene between himself and Sethvir. Before we just had hints, glimmers and suppositions.

originally posted by Hunter

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Anna - I found Braggen's return to the clans at Halythwood created the most emotional tumoil in me. The first part of TK was really part of the end of PG in a world where books could have 5000 pages and be bound properly. So with my recent re-read of PG then reading TK, this flowed and the overflow of emotion as Braggen is forced to look after Arithon when Jieret sacrifices himself was almost overwhelming.

Braggen is a man come back to explain that his Lord had died in his place. What could Braggen say or do to Feithin, Jeynsa or the clans that might explain or absolve anything? Very disturbing.

With Davien's discussion with Sethvir, I can only surmise that the Fellowship of six gave Davien so much room because the F6 (well Sethvir and Asandir at least) may have admitted to themselves that perhaps Davien had been right all along. Luhaine and Kharadmon don't seem to be as initimately involved in this as Sethvir and Asandir…

Being very good!!! Not reading Spoliers until finshed the book!!!

End of Chapter set 8:

MAY DHARKARON AVENGER'S HORSES RAIN FLAMING PISS ON LYSEAR S'ILLLESID. Sorry had to use DaKar's curse there. There is no obvious connection between Arithon and the necromancers. Lysear has created that connection, he must have all evil tied together in a nice neat fashion. If anything the Cabal has a connection to Lysear and not Arithon. Streets of Avenore are safe, pah! I fear for Sulfin Evend I can see his death for treason.

Love the frozen Iyats. V useful. And what happened to the Waystone! Morriel/Selide has become obessed with Arithon's capture above and beyond any idea of charity.

Hellcat

PS Anyone else notice there are living drakes?

originally posted by Trys

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

quote:

he must have all evil tied together in a nice neat fashion

Given that Lysaer grew up in an environment where his father despised his mother and her father is it any wonder that Lysaer has issues with mages and magecraft. Desh-thiere would know this so what better focal point to use to push Lysaer in directions that might achieve the Curse's end.

Trys

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

I noticed the mention of living drakes. But given they are largely outside of normal linear time… what does death really mean to them?

Regarding the necromancers - how can Lysaer be held responsible for them when, according to Davien, they came with the refugees at the start of the third age? What Lysaer did was give them a forum, unbeknownst to him, to grab the control they want and the stepping stone to break the compact.

The mistwraith's curse is to set Lysaer against Arithon because their paired talents is what confined the mistwraith in the first place, so it assumes by ensuring they are never working in concert again, that it will be safe when (not if!) it escapes from Kewar. Any thoughts on whether Arithon would need Lysaer? If he can freeze iyats, why not the free wraiths?

One other minor point - only baddies died in this book. Mostly we're used to good and misguided people dying in droves. Here the major casualties were the already dead…

So - finale of SF? Fionn Areth in Alestron as it burns being the focus for Lysaer's warhost…

balan n an n na nann a n n anna Spoilers etccccccccc

Trys,

Not entirely sure how much of this is the Curse working. Rosin's posts in the "Lysaer and sympathy left for him" thread express how I see Lysear coherently. He comes so close to a change of mind only to have what I presume is the Curse intervene. This might be another example of the Curse at work. or it might be Lysears own shortcommings.

We see in Curse how diffcult Lysaer finds it to reconcile the need to provide justice to both the clans and the townsmen of Ettara. After the destruction of Avenor's Cabel Lysaer finds it is easier for him to deal with One Big Evil with Arithon at its head rather than to admit he has to defend his populace aganist something he doesn't understand how to deal with and with those he does not control (the f7 and existing talent) acting as a defence.

He is too proud to stop his course, re-evalate if the F7 and Ath's Adepts are evil. Instead he MUST (and this is where I can see the curse's influence) prove that Arithon is behind Kevor and Ellaine's disapearence and thus behind the Cabal

Hellcat

On a different note. Did anyone else get reminded of the shape-changers in TRHC when the corpses became re-animated.

originally posted by R’is’n

I have closed my eyes whilst opening this thread … I am not reading one iota of the above posts… but oh my WORD is it tempting!!! Some of you are reading the book as I type!!! It's just too, too cruel a world. :smiley:

originally posted by Annette

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Question. This involves the Child of Prophecy short story as well. If Arithon and Lysaer are directly related to the King of Shand (or did I misread that part?) wouldn't that mean that either of them could be granted the High Kingship of Shand? Or did I totally misunderstand? And now in TK where Melhalla is kingless would either be able to take over that kingdom as well? I hope somone can clear this up for me.

originally posted by michael

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
!

hey janny i meant to ask about that. with the oath that arithon was given (by the shandion leaders son???) does that mean he if he appealed to the F7 or they chose that he would become the ruler there. he does have the blood of that kindom doesn't he???

Redaing Confronations…

Oh my word

quote:

you insist I am cursed? That my half-brother's crimes are all inncocent?

yet again, Lysaer came close to awareness of the curse. Twice in a short space of time he has shown potential to rise above the curse. At the same time we see how even the thought of Arithon could drive him to madness. The potentail for redemption or destruction grow more on either side.

Michael - You Asked.

Arithon and Lysaer both carry the "lineage" of Shand.

Note: the Fellowship sanctioned Arithon for RATHAIN.

Note further: in discussion with Maenalle, COTM, concerning Lysaer in jeopardy handling the Mistwraith, they KNOW that there are other s'Ilessid survivors on Dascen Elur.

If they know this, extrapolate, they are aware of other s'Ahelas descendents there, too.

Straight logic suggests that, knowing this, they'd prefer the bloodline untrammeled with the other royal birth talents of s'Ilessid and s'Ffalenn, given that the legacy left by Dari's descendents is already gifted to a more than prodigious degree…

originally posted by Hannah

Hunter: One other minor point - only baddies died in this book. Mostly we're used to good and misguided people dying in droves. Here the major casualties were the already dead…

I don't know that I would call Raiett Raven a "baddie."

Annette: If Arithon and Lysaer are directly related to the King of Shand (or did I misread that part?) wouldn't that mean that either of them could be granted the High Kingship of Shand? Or did I totally misunderstand?

Well, we have to remember (and by "we" I mean "I") that the monarchies (any title, really) in Athera are not as haphazard as the ones in our history, with the oldest son automatically inheriting, etc. They would probably have to be chosen, and deemed right to be sovreign of that country.

Shoot! Don't know how I missed Janny's post. Apologies for beating a dead horse. :-\

originally posted by Annette

Thanks guys.

Hannah,

I view Raiett as a "baddie"… I don't see him as misguided, he's made conscious choices and is/was far more aware of clan lineage and what that meant than many others in the Alliance…

He had the dragon skull wards (any idea where they went?) and actively plotted with Lysaer.

I had originally expected Raiett to play the role now played by Sulfin Evend - someone not blinded by Lysaer's statecraft and charisma, who knew sufficient about the Atheran history and the clan lineages to understand the impact of what was occurring and who could provide a balancing point of view that Lysaer wasn't about to dismiss out of hand.

It will be interesting to see if Sulfin Evend lives to retirement, most others of Lysaer's close acquaintance tend to end up dead… or undead!

originally posted by Auna

spoiler
s
s
s
s
s
s
s
I was surprised by Raiett's swift demise. I didn't expect him to be so quickly overpowered by necromancy and then death. I thought he had a bit more intelligence and sustaining power to cause headaches for Arithon and allies. He was also an interesting character, and I thought (wrongly!) that he'd get more time before getting wacked!

Hunter,

Yes I know what you mean about expecting him to take SE's current, more enlightened role. That was what I meant in my previous post in the other spoiler thread. Most of us had higher expectations or RR playing a greater role in the story. It just goes once more to show that one can never presume to assume with Janny.

It was his brief interaction with Arithon in the last chapter that gave rise to my comment I guess. Just his suspicion about who the blind bard was, and his reaction to confirmation, I guess. ::shrug::