Stormed Fortress: Status Updates

originally posted by David M

Kate Elliot's CROWN OF STARS is scratching my itch. If i finish before the new one comes out …well i'll just have to go back to the start and read from MISTWRAITH

originally posted by Kitsune

I would also recommend the "Cycle of Fire", which was my first introduction to Janny's work. (IIRC, it's available in an omnibus collection, and well worth the price.)

originally posted by Trys

The US edition is a trade paperback omnibus edition.

Now that the printer's proofs are turned in for TK, I get to return to Stormed Fortress's draft…

what's in store…aside from a HEAP of stuff you will NOT expect - stuff that would just pop the speculation off the charts…

- (chortle) -

Sidir's just knocked my socks off. He had a journey from point A to point B, and he just accomplished it with a twist in his own personal style - my mouth fell open so hard that my jaw hit the rug, and I'm still groping about picking up the bounced teeth.

You're gonna love this…BOOK!

originally posted by Blue

You're a mean one, Janny! :wink:

originally posted by max

Now Janny, You teased us with Traitor's Knot and most of us went ballistic when it didn't show up and here you are again teasing with Stormed Fortress. There will be rioting in the streets if you don't stop all that teasing!!!LOL [grinning at ya]

There shall be good news forthcoming soon, for this title, and the first volume in the next story arc…
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Janny, please see my post above, dated March 25, 2005…

:wink:

originally posted by Timothy

I want to know now!

In fact, I want to read it now.

Well, I haven't read Traitor's knot yet since it hasn't come out in the States… so I still have a book ahead of me. It's such a good feeling to know you have something to read.

originally posted by Hunter

Way to go Janny…

originally posted by Neilw

If there is news soon…well…that's already good :slight_smile:

"That 4th arc" …I'm wondering just what Lysaer and Arithon can get up to next…

We still don't know where the paravians and drakes are…what's beyond the North and South Gates…what will happen if the free wraiths get to Athera (although this seems a likely candidate for a fellowship drakebound-forced decision moment)…how to put to rest the mistwraith…surely this should become a priority for Arithon though I guess the clans come first since the mistwraith is tucked up in rockfell for the moment? And what is Davien's next priority I wonder? Where do the desert born fit in to the compact? And so on…

Uh, Neil, Marak and the greater portion of the Mistwraith is beyond South Gate…

West Gate, we know leads to the World of the Red Desert, so I guess it is East and North Gates that have yet to be explored… if that is within Janny's plans.

originally posted by neilw

oops… :smiley:

One would also think the completion of the Fellowship's tasks might get a run but I'm thinking that is perhaps an Arc V story element… :smiley:

We're in the Third Age… the prologue in Curse was in the Seventh Age… will we see anything of Ages Four to Six?

Ages:
Age of Dragons
First Age - Arrival of Paravians
Second Age - Arrival of Fellowship
Third Age - Arrival of Mankind
Fourth Age?
Fifth Age?
Sixth Age?
Seventh Age?

originally posted by Hellcat

I thought the time of Dragons (i.e. before the Paravian races emerged) was referred to as an era. To me an era sounds like a far longer period of time (perhaps containing many ages)

My guess is that WOLAS is set at the very end of the Third Age and that there will be some fundamental shift in the makeup of Athera during this series that moves us into the forth age. Further IMENSE speculation suggests to me that the resolution of the Black Rose Prophecy will be a new method of government \co-habitation on Athera and that is the paradigm change between third and forth ages

Hellcat

Hellcat,

If you use the Search facility and search for "Age of Dragons" (quotes important) you'll get to the page with this snippet posted by Janny:

"Very little has been revealed about the Age of Dragons (the epoch prior to First Age One, when Paravians arrived as Ath's gift to Athera). "

Reading this and other bits trying to find the answer to this question had lead me to believe that Athera is the only world of the universe to have Dragons and Paravians. If, in the rest of the universe Calum Kincaid's great weapon has destroyed worlds and all of humanity, does that mean that the only humanity extant in the universe is that on Athera and those exiled voluntarily or involuntarily through the Worldsend Gates to the Splinter worlds?

If so, only on Athera do you have dragons, Paravians and humanity with the Compact speaking for the last group. The previous Ages have all been marked by the arrivals of various groups. Given the prologue, its entirely possible the subsequent Ages are marked by the exit/departure of such key groups.

The prologue in Curse starts thus "The Wars of Light and Shadow were fought during the Third Age of Athera, the most trouble and strife-filled era recorded in all history". So I'm not sure we'll get into the Fourth Age in the narrative - although how to get another 450 years of history in the subsequent Arcs will be interesting.

The prologue also talks about trying to determine the truth about Arithon, Lysaer and the Religion of Light. Given Lysaer, the Kralovir and the shadowy cabal from Erdane (amongst others) are aligned with the decimation of the Paravians, Ath's Adepts, Arithon, the clans, the Compact and basically anything that disallows humanity free access to Athera, the resolution of the Lysaer/Arithon conflict has to, in my mind, resolve all of the extraneous issues with Paravians, Drakes, etc.

originally posted by Timothy

Maybe the fourth age is the age of the…

Gryphon!!! Trys Crash lands on Athera! and eats the Mistwraith for dinner!

By the way, I've always wondered why Davien carves so many gargoyles (and gryphons too? I can't remember at the moment), but I have never heard of any actually existing. Are these real animals in Athera? or are they just a part of legend?

originally posted by Trys

quote:

Gryphon!!! Trys Crash lands on Athera! and eats the Mistwraith for dinner!

OH MY!! That would be quite a case of indigestion!! <grin>

Perhaps Davien's gargoyles are his portraits of Kharadmon and Luhaine? Davien seems to enjoy needling them…

I think the gryphons are a Janny thank you… to share the cover of a novel with Arithon… an honour indeed.

originally posted by Soltari

I'd assume those kind of statues existed back when the F7 was still mortal and Davien used that for his own purpose.